These courses are primarily designed to meet the needs of first time parents who are interested in finding out about the how they can support the normal process of labour and birth and prepare for responsively parenting their baby and establishing successful breastfeeding. Ideally women will attend with their baby’s father, their partner or a support person.
MAMA also runs specialized courses for parents expecting twins and triplets in Coyle Street, Sandringham.
Topics Covered include:-
- Staying healthy during the last trimester of pregnancy.
- What happens during labour.
- Labour coping skills for the labouring mother and her partner/support person.
- The role of your LMC midwife or doctor.
- Medical pain relief and medical interventions in the labouring process – making informed choices.
- The first hours and days of your baby’s life.
- Information to help establish successful breastfeeding.
- Your baby’s adjustment to life in the outside world – sleeping, crying feeding etc.
- Practical parenting.
- Your adjustment to parenting.
- Government funded well child services.